Here are Logan's thoughts on Frankenstein. Enjoy!
"I agree with many of your sentiments about the book. I admit that on a second reading, I found the pace a little slow, and had to drag myself through a number of the scenic interludes, where Victor traipses here and there through mountains and various European countries, trying to feel happy but NEVER succeeding (woe is me!). The parts where we do have conflict and confrontation, though, are so taut and emotional. The monster is so eloquent, and listening to his prose made me pained that he couldn't find a way to improve his appearance, as he did his intellect, in order to integrate into society. He has everything else Victor could have hoped to endow him with: compassion, kindness, intelligence, but his frame is too large and his face too inhuman. Before reading this I had never conceived of Frankenstein's monster as a pathetic or pitiable character, but his inability to connect with anyone and to suffer, isolated, his entire creation, broke my heart. Mary Shelley's original work has so much more pain and subtlety than any subsequent versions, and while later retellings center on the destruction and horror wreaked by the monster, Shelley's original really looks at the horror of the monster's creation itself, and how creating something he wasn't ready to take RESPONSIBILITY for ruins Victor's life. It's more about the father/son relationship between the creator and the created, and takes a fairly heavy-handed moralizing stance. Certainly, though, you can see why the idea has remained fascinating and terrifying for centuries."
When I first started this blog, I gave myself the task of reading 100 "classic" novels. After six years, I finished those 100, and moved on to tackle another 100. After 13 rounds of 'book bingo' (see posts for description), I decided to tackle 40 (ish) books for my 40th year. These are the books I'm blogging on now. To see older posts from the first 100, the second 100, or the book bingos, navigate to that specific page.
A note on this blog's organization
Since I first started this blog, I've read well over 600 books. I decided to organize them by sections, so to navigate to specific blog entries, review the sections below. To look for a specific book, try typing the book title or author's name in the search bar at the top left of this blog.
The Eras of this Blog
- Conquering the Classics - The First 100
- 101 and Beyond - The Second Hundred 'Classics'
- Book Bingo #1 - Summer 2019
- Book Bingo #2 - 2019
- Book Bingo #3 - Spooktober 2019
- Book Bingo #4 - Feminist Resistance Book Bingo (2020-2021)
- Book Bingo #5 - Summer Breakthrough Book Bingo 2020
- Book Bingo #6 - Winter Book Bingo (2020)
No comments:
Post a Comment